Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Brooklyn Carson James is born

Here is Brooks' story: I went into labor (consistent contractions) around 4am, but they were 7 minutes apart or so. We needed to be at the hospital for at least 4 hours prior to delivery, since I was Group B strep positive, and needed a good dose of IV meds to prevent baby from potentially catching an infection. With Kenna, my labor was not even 4 hours, (didn't get enough meds), so this time, we were going to go early in plenty of time. At 4:30 contractions were about 5 minutes apart consistantly, but not at all painful. I could walk and talk through them, they were just like Braxton Hicks, but I called the midwife anyway, so we could get to the hospital and get the meds going, as I knew this would be the night/day the baby would be born.

Midwife Erin was on duty and told us to meet her at the midwifery center in 30 minutes. So we packed up Kenna, and dropped her off at Josh & Mel's, only a mile away from us, and headed to the hospital. We arrived in the parking lot at 5am, and I had my first painful (no talking, no walking:-) contraction when I hopped out of the car. We headed up to the 3rd floor, and Erin was there waiting for us. She checked me out and I was only 4cm. Then she listened to the baby on the doppler while a nurse hooked up my IV. My contractions got VERY painful in those few minutes, they really went from 0 to 60 in no time at all. As soon as they were done with all their prodding, she told me to hop in the tub and relax. Each room at the birthing center has a huge hot tub in it. I love it. I got in and immediate the pain subsides soooo substantially. There is nothing like it! Erin and the nurse left to go do whatever they do. Admitting paperwork or whatever, they just leave you to labor on your own. Within moments, I was completely panic stricken. I needed to PUSH. Now. I told Brian this, and he's rubbing my arms and says "don't worry, just relax, they'll tell you when it's time". Right then I knew something was wrong, I mean, I was only 4cm right? I was totally panicking now..."Where IS everybody?" "GO GET THEM!" Just then Erin came flying into the room (do they have mics in there? I wasn't yelling, just panicked, and the door was closed:-), and the Baby's head was already out. For some reason this didn't register with me, and I was still thinking it wasn't time, I was only 4cm...so I wasn't really doing anything! She told me to give a small push, and I didn't listen. Then she said, "he's out!, just a small push!" And there he came up out of the water! It was one of those 'in a daze' moments, where things happen too fast for the mind to register any of it. Brian did not get to cut the cord this time, as it all happened in a matter of moments, the midwife did it.

Brooks was born at 5:31am. Which is the time they recorded, I think he was actually born about 5:27am, it took them a few minutes to compose themselves and then look at the time, when they did, it was 5:31. With Kenna, she was born at 7:45, I was watching!! But they said 7:51, again, they don't look up at the clock and declare it until certain things are taken of. Whatever.

So, 30 minutes of pain & labor, an unexpected water birth, and a new birthing record! He was in a real hurry to make his entrance! No complaints with Mom, after the initial panic subsided, I was in perfect health and ready to go! It was as close to a pain free labor and delivery as one can have with no drugs. Gotta love that!

Again, because of my lack of Group B strep meds, we had to stay for 2 full days to ensure he would not get sick. Bummer for me, I was so bored. And the only thing that makes me nervous is...what about the next baby? They say each one comes faster than the last, in general, but I don't know if that would even be possible!!

Brooks and Lauren


We have the cutest little babies!




Rocking in the chair with Mommy, this was approx. 8:30am


Gotta have an up the nose shot. This baby cap was made for the hospital by some older ladies who knit and donate baby hats to the hospitals.


Right after birth, Daddy and his first son!


Weighing him and checking him out. He was 21 inches long and 8 lbs even.


Right after they grabbed him out of the tub and finished 'inspecting' him.


And here's our darling baby boy!

No comments:

Post a Comment